21 Aug 2020
- The Supreme Court recently sought the response of the government on a petition that alleged the non-implementation of the National E-Mobility Mission Plan, 2020 (NEMMP) which was launched in 2013
- To encourage reliable, affordable and efficient EVs that meet consumer performance and price expectations through Government – Industry collaboration for promotion and development of indigenous manufacturing capabilities, required infrastructure, consumer awareness and technology; thereby helping India to emerge as a leader in the EV Two Wheeler and Four Wheeler market in the world by 2020, with total xEV sales of 6-7 million units thus enabling Indian automotive Industry to achieve global xEV manufacturing leadership and contributing towards National Fuel Security.
About National E-Mobility Mission Plan
- The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020 is a National Mission document providing the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- This plan has been designed to enhance national fuel security, to provide affordable and environmentally friendly transportation and to enable the Indian automotive industry to achieve global manufacturing leadership.
- Under the NEMMP 2020, there is an ambitious target to achieve 6-7 million sales of hybrid and electric vehicles by the year 2020