20 Aug 2020
Why in news?
- Kajin Sara Lake in Manang district of Nepal which was discovered recently is all set to become popular as the world’s highest lake.
- Kajin Sara Lake will replace Tilicho Lake, which is also located in Manang, from the number one spot. (Tilicho Lake is located at an altitude of 4919 m. It is 4 km long and 1.2 km wide. The depth of the lake is 200 m).
- It was found by a group of mountaineers.
- The lake is as high as 5,200 m at Singarkharka in Chame Rural Municipality of Manang.
- It is about 1500 m in length and 600 m in width.
- Known as Singar by the local people, the lake is believed to have formed out of a glacier that melted from the Himalayas.
- Once the altitude of this lake gets verified, it will find its place as the world’s highest lake.