20 Aug 2020
- Ghoramara Island is news as the island is slowly being submerged by the sea
About Ghoramara Island
- It is located 92km south of Kolkata in the Sundarbans Delta complex of the Bay of Bengal
- In fact, every year, with houses and acres of land being swallowed by a hungry sea, the topography of the island alters.
- The total area of Ghoramara was 8.51 sq km in 1975; it was reduced to 4.43 sq km in 2012.
- The rapid erosion of the island, located at the mouth of the Bay of Bengal, has grabbed the attention of all those attempting to understand how rising sea levels and climate change are impacting lives and migration patterns.