17 Jul 2020
Why is it in the news?
- Recently, the Prime minister launched a Nationwide Artificial Insemination Programme. It was stated that every cow and buffalo under AI will be tagged and can be tracked through the Information Network on Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH) Database.
- National Dairy Development Board(NDDB) has developed an Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH), a Desktop/ Netbook / Android Tablet based field IT application that facilitates the capturing of real time reliable data on Breeding, Nutrition and Health Services delivered at farmer’s doorstep.
- 88 million milk producing animals being identified using polyurethane tags with 12 digit unique identification (UID) number(Pashu Adhar)
- Data of the identified animals is being uploaded on Information Network on Animal Health and Productivity (INAPH) data base
- It provides a tool for farmers, field functionaries, Union, Federation, NDDB to assess and monitor the progress of the project
- This effort crucial for control and spread of animal diseases and scientific management of animals
- This can be used for developing quality livestock & livestock products
- This will in turn increase trade of livestock and livestock products by meeting out sanitary and phytosanitary issues.