The Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (IC) launched the Indian Culture web portal
Aim of the portal
To create awareness among the citizens about the diverse heritage of our country.
Key highlights of the portal
- The Indian Culture portal was envisioned by the Ministry of Culture and was developed by a team from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay while the curation of the data has been done by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- It is the first government-authorized portal where knowledge and cultural resources of various organizations of the Ministry of Culture are now available in the public domain on a single platform.
- It is a part of the Digital India initiative to showcase information about the rich tangible and intangible cultural heritage of India both at home and abroad
- One of the unique features of the portal is the stories, based on original archival documents narrated in an interesting, easy to read and understand format.
- The content on the portal is available in English and Hindi language in an interactive, user-friendly interface.
What is available on the portal?
- From toy carts of the Indus Valley Civilisation to the charkha of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Culture encapsulates the words of the Shastras and the finesse of Deccan court painters, from the calm on the buddha’s cisage to the battle scars on armours, from rare images of monuments to bite-sized anecdotes and detailed accounts of Indian UNESCO World Heritage Site are available on the portal.
- This portal hosts documents, images, audio-video files and other data from archives, museums, academies and libraries across the nation.
- The portal is more than a repository, it is a proud culmination of the mélange of Indian cultures that have co-existed and thrived for more than five thousand years
- The content available on the portal comprises mainly rare books, e-books, manuscripts, artefacts from the museum, virtual galleries, archives, photo archives, gazetteers, Indian National Bibliography, videos, images, cuisine, UNESCO, Musical Instruments of India among others.
- The portal also contains write-ups and beautiful pictures on cuisines, festivals, paintings, folk art and classical art from different states of India.
- Rich information about rare books, manuscripts and research papers on our cultural heritage is also available on this portal.