13 Jul 2020
- It was set up in 2014-15 under the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Famers Welfare (DAC&FW). Later it was transferred to the Department of Consumer Affairs (DOCA)
- It was set upto help regulate the price volatility of important agri-horticultural commodities like onion, potatoes and pulses were also added subsequently.
- The scheme provides for maintaining a strategic buffer of aforementioned commodities for subsequent calibrated release to moderate price volatility and discourages hoarding and unscrupulous speculation.
- For building such stock, the scheme promotes direct purchase from farmers/farmers’ association at farm gate/Mandi.
- The PSF is utilized for granting interest free advance of working capital to Central Agencies, State/UT Governments/Agencies to undertake market intervention operations.
- Apart from domestic procurement from farmers/wholesale mandis, import may also be undertaken with support from the Fund.