13 Jul 2020
Why was it in the news?
- Recently, Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying released the 20th Livestock Census
About the Livestock Census
- The Livestock Census has been conducted in the country periodically since 1919-20. The Livestock Census covers all domesticated animals and its headcounts. So far 19 such censuses have been conducted in participation with State Governments and UT Administrations.
- The 20th Livestock Census was conducted in participation with all States and Union Territories.
- The enumeration was done both in rural and urban areas.
- The major thrust given to the 20th Livestock Census is the collection of data through tablets computers.
- The 20th livestock census is indeed a unique attempt as for the first time such a major initiative has been taken to digitise household level data through online transmission from the field.
The following are the key results of the 20th Livestock Census:
- The total Livestock population is 535.78 million in the country showing an increase of 4.6% over Livestock Census-2012
- Total Bovine population (Cattle, Buffalo, Mithun and Yak) is 302.79 Million in 2019 which shows an increase of about 1% over the previous census.
- The total number of cattle in the country in 2019 is 192.49 million showing an increase of 0.8 % over previous Census.
- The population of the total Exotic/Crossbred Cattle has increased by 26.9 % in 2019 as compared to the previous census.
- There is a decline of 6 % in the total Indigenous/ Non-descript cattle population over the previous census. However, the pace of decline of Indigenous/ Non-descript cattle population during 2012-2019 is much lesser as compared to the 2007-12 which was about 9%.
- The total buffaloes in the country are 109.85 million showing an increase of about 1.0% over previous Census.
- The total milch animals (in-milk and dry) in cows and buffaloes are 125.34 million, an increase of 6.0 % over the previous census.
- The total sheep in the country is 74.26 million in 2019, increased by 14.1% over previous Census.
- The Goat population in the country in 2019 is 148.88 million showing an increase of 10.1% over the previous census.
- The total Pigs in the country is 9.06 Million in the current Census, declined by 12.03% over the previous Census.
- The other livestock including mithun, yak, horses, ponies, mule, donkeys, camel together contribute around 0.23% of the total livestock and their total count is 1.24 million.
- The total poultry in the country is 851.81 million in 2019, registering an increase of 16.8% in the total poultry.