28 Apr 2020
Context: Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech launched its advanced version of rotavirus vaccine – Rotavac 5D, to tackle viral diarrhoea
- Earlier vaccines
- Not swallowed completely by children
- It occupied larger storage space
- Storage temp of -20 degree celsius
- Bharat Biotech has concentrated the larger dose into 0.5 ml quantity and will require between two to eight degrees celsius storage temperature,
- Rotavirus- It is a double-stranded RNA virus
- Rotavirus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route, via contact with contaminated hands
- Symptoms include
- fever, nausea, and vomiting,
- cough and runny nose.
- Diarrhea, dehydration.
- WHO prequalifies new rotavirus vaccine
- WHO prequalified Rotasil, an oral rotavirus vaccine produced by Serum Institute of India.
- Rotasil is the first Rotavirus vaccine with heat stable characteristics, which makes it particularly suitable for use in low-income countries, where weak infrastructure and frequent lack of electricity make refrigeration very difficult.