22 Apr 2020
Context: Ministry of Railways decides to adopt HOG system (Head on Generation technology) in all LHB Coaches trains
- LHB( Link Hofmann Busch ) type of coaches are best suited for adoption of “Head on Generation” (HOG) scheme
- In the new technology called – Head on Generation technology, the power will be drawn from the Overhead Electric supply.
- The power generator cars which used to make huge noise and emit fumes will not be there anymore. In place of two such generator cars there will be one standby silent generator car for emergency. In place of the other car, there will be another compartment with the capability to convert power from the overhead supply to be utilised in the entire train
- Cost of electricity generation this way is less and it reduces air and noise pollution
- This scheme is a widely used power supply system by Railways world over.