Source: Kurukshetra Magazine
This Scheme is now a component of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure Scheme under the umbrella Scheme Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) launched in 2017.
Objectives of the scheme
The scheme is intended to achieve the following objectives:
- Motivate the food processing industry for the adoption of food safety and quality assurance mechanisms.
- Enable adherence to stringent quality and hygiene norms by food processing industries and thereby protect consumer health.
- Prepare industry to face global competition.
- Enhance product acceptance by overseas buyers.
- Keep the Indian industry technologically abreast of international best practices.
Pattern of Assistance
- All Implementing Agencies i.e. Central/ State Govt. Undertakings/ Organisations and Private Sector firms will be eligible for reimbursement of 50% of eligible project costs incurred towards the implementation of the above standard in the food processing units in general areas subject to a maximum limit of Rs. 17 lakh and 75% in difficult areas subject to a maximum of Rs. 22 lakh. Difficult areas include J&K, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, North-Eastern States, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Integrated Tribal Development Project (ITDP) Areas of States.
- All implementing agencies with Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST) promoter(s), holding majority stake will be treated at par with the difficult areas for the purpose of extending benefits under the scheme. Subject to matching the basic eligibility criteria, SC/ST beneficiaries will be given preference in sanction of the projects under the scheme to the extent of earmarked fund allocation for each category.
Quality council of India’s “IndiaGHP” and “IndiaHACCP” Certification schemes
- Quality Council of India has launched two Certification schemes namely “IndiaGHP” and “IndiaHACCP” based on globally accepted Codex Standards for adoption by food manufacturers and supply chain operators.
- These schemes will help India food chain related industry to demonstrate compliance to global standards without having to go for costly and time consuming foreign certifications as many countries have mandated Haxaed Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) for high risk sectors like meat, fish, dairy etc. and most developed countries have also mandated Good Hygienic Practices(GHP) across all food sectors.