20 Dec 2019
Source: PIB & Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying
Recently Prime Minister launched the National Animal Disease Control Programme (NADCP) for eradicating the foot and mouth disease and brucellosis in livestock on.
- The programme aims to control the livestock diseases by 2025 and eradicate these by 2030
- The programme aims at vaccinating over 500 million livestock including cattle, buffalo, sheep, goats and pigs against the FMD.
- The programme also aims at vaccinating 36 million female bovine calves annually in its fight against the brucellosis disease
- The Programme has two components – to control the diseases by 2025 and eradication by 2030.
- Funding: The project, which will cost ₹12,652 crores for a period of five years till 2024, will be funded entirely by the government(100% centrally funded ).
- Coverage: Under the ‘National Animal Disease Control Programme for FMD and Brucellosis, funds for the component of Foot and Mouth Disease will be provided for control of the disease for vaccination of the entire cattle, buffalo, sheep, goat and pig population and primary vaccination m calves (4-5 months of age), de-worming of livestock one month before vaccination twice a year, establishment/strengthening of check post to control movement of animals, awareness campaign which shall include hoardings, print materials, wall painting, audio/video medium, leaflets, etc at Centre, State, District, Block and Village level, animal identification by ear tagging and recording 1t in Animal Health Module of Information Network for Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH)
- Funds for the component ‘National Animal Disease Control Programme for Brucellosis’ shall be provided for control of Brucellosis by vaccination of female calves (4 to 8 months of age) once in a lifetime
- It shall be ensured that at least 16.6% and 8 6% of the funds are targeted for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe farmers beneficiaries under Scheduled Caste Special Plan (SCSP) and Tribal Sub Plan (TSP) respectively, as per directives of NITI Aayog