Source: Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology-MeitY
What is a mission mode project?
- A mission mode project (MMP) is an individual project within the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) that focuses on one aspect of electronic governance, such as banking, land records or commercial taxes etc.
- Within NeGP, “mission mode” implies that projects have clearly defined objectives, scopes, and implementation timelines and milestones, as well as measurable outcomes and service levels.
Components of the mission mode projects
- Capacity building scheme: The scheme envisions
- Establishment of Institutional Framework for State Level Strategic decision- making including setting-up of State e-Governance Mission Team (SeMT).
- Imparting of specialized training, an Orientation program for SeMTs and decision-makers.
- Setting up a central Capacity Building Management Cell for coordination and implementation of the scheme.
- Awareness and communication: The main objectives of the scheme are
- Build NeGP as an umbrella brand
- Create awareness about e-Governance services and service delivery points
- Build ownership/ stake of implementers in NeGP
- Impact and outcomes: Besides the assessment of projects, DeitY also undertakes e-Readiness Assessment of States and Union Territories.
- Standards and Policies: Standards in e-Governance are a high priority activity, which will help ensure the sharing of information and seamless interoperability of data across e-Governance applications.
Status of the Mission Mode Projects
NeGP comprises of 44 Mission Mode Projects encompassing 15 central MMPs, 17 state MMPs and 12 integrated MMPs. MMPs are owned and spearheaded by various line ministries. State Governments are responsible for implementing State MMPs, under the overall guidance of respective Line Ministries in cases where Central Assistance is also required.
Role of MeitY
MeitY acts as the facilitator and catalyst for the implementation of NeGP and provides technical assistance to various Ministries / Departments and State Governments.