29 Nov 2019
The JSK has been discontinued on 08/02/2019 vide the cabinet decision in 2018.
About Janasankhya Sthirtha Kosh(JSK) or National Population Stabilization Fund (NPSF)
- The Government of India had set up a National Population Stabilization Fund (NPSF) in the year 2004-05 with a one-time grant of Rs.100 crore in the form of a corpus fund.
- This is now known as Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (JSK).
- To empower the NPSF, Government of India has set up Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (JSK).
- This is an autonomous body registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare)
- The society was established with the objective of highlighting the need for population stabilization
Schemes implemented by JSK:
- Prerna Scheme (for delaying marriage, childbirth and spacing),
- Santushti Scheme (Public Private Partnership for sterilization services),and
- National Helpline (for information on family planning).
- In order to help push up the age of marriage of girls and space the birth of children in the interest of the health of young mothers and infants, Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (National Population Stabilization Fund) has launched PRERNA, a Responsible Parenthood Strategy in seven focus states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, and Rajasthan.
- The strategy recognizes and awards couples who have broken the stereotype of early marriage, early childbirth and repeated childbirth and have helped change the mindsets of the community.
- Santushti is a strategy of Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (JSK) for the highly populated states of India viz Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh & Odisha.
- Under this strategy, Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh, invites private sector gynaecologists and vasectomy surgeons to conduct sterilization operations in Public Private Partnership mode.
- According to this Scheme, an accredited private Nursing Home/ Hospital can sign a tripartite MOU between the State Health Society as 1st party, accredited private health facility as 2nd party and JSK as the third party