22 Nov 2019
Indian Railways has entered into Procurement cum Maintenance Agreement with Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd. (MELPL), a joint venture of Indian Railways and M/s Alstom(French Company).
- As part of the largest Foreign Direct Investment project of Indian Railways, Ministry of Railways and Alstom came together in 2015 to transform the heavy freight transportation landscape of the country. A landmark agreement worth 3.5 billion Euro was signed to manufacture 800 electric locomotives for freight service and its associated maintenance.
- Alstom has delivered prototype locomotive in March 2018. Based on the test results, Alstom has redesigned the complete locomotive including bogies.
- The new design of locomotive has been inspected by RDSO at Madhepura factory and cleared for dispatch from the factory.
- This is the first time such High HorsePower locomotive is being tested on Broad Gauge network in the World by any Railways.
- As part of the project, the factory along with township has been set up in Madhepura, Bihar with the capacity to manufacture 120 locomotives per year.
- The project will create more than 10,000 direct and indirect jobs in the country.
Benefits of Project
- Indian Railways have taken the decision to have 12000 horsepower twin Bo-Bo design Locomotive with 22.5 T (Tonnes) axle load upgradable to 25Tonnes with a design speed of 120 kmph.
- This locomotive will be game-changer for further movement of coal trains for Dedicated Freight Corridor. With the success of this project it will boost the “Make in India” programme of the Government of India.
- This will further develop ancillary units for locomotive components.
- The project will allow faster and safer movement of heavier freight trains.
- With 100% electrification, the new locomotive will not only bring down the operational cost for Railways, the locomotive will also reduce the congestion faced by Indian Railways.
- This will be used to haul heavier trains such as coal and iron ore.