Source: PIB & Hindustan times
The tenth edition of the Joint Military Exercise Ekuverin between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force was held from 07 to 20 October 2019 at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra.
About the Exercise Ekuverin
- The Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces have been conducting Exercise Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Dhivehi language since 2009.
- The 14 days Joint Exercise held alternatively in India and Maldives focuses on enhancing interoperability between the two forces for carrying out counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations mandate.
- As part of validation exercise troops of both the armies carried out specialized joint counter-terrorist operations which were witnessed by dignitaries of both the armies.
- During the exercise, the troops shared best practices being followed by both nations in varied terrain.
- The exercise provided an opportunity for both the armies for greater understanding and strengthening mutual trust and cooperation.
India shares very close ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial ties with the Maldives and Exercise Ekuverin will assist in further strengthening of these ties between the two nations.