UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) initiative
Source: PIB & Ministry of Science and Technology
Recently the Union Minister for Science & Technology launched UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) initiative
UMMID initiative aims
- To establish NIDAN Kendras(National Inherited Disorders AdministrationN Kendra) to provide counselling, prenatal testing and diagnosis, management, and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more
- To produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics(Training centre for Clinicians, in Clinical Genetics and Genetic Diagnosis), and
- To undertake screening of pregnant women and newborn babies for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at aspirational districts(Aspirational District program).
- It is an initiative of the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology to create awareness about genetic disorders amongst clinicians and establish molecular diagnostics in hospitals for the benefit of patients in India.
- The plan of the UMMID initiative is to link the well-established centres of Medical Genetics in India to upcoming centres and to establish clinical genetics facilities in district hospitals
Plan of Training and Diagnostic Services under the UMMID Initiative
UMMID plans to work at three levels of medical care which will work in close collaboration with a close link between training and establishment of diagnostic services. The three components of UMMID are given below:
- Fellowship in Genetic Diagnostics: Hands-on training for six months will be provided to doctors working in government hospitals by eight departments with state-of-the-art DNA-based diagnostic services for genetic disorders. Each centre will train 4 fellows per year thus providing 96 trained doctors in genetic diagnostics during a period of 3 years.
- NIDAN Kendras (Diagnostic Centres): Hospitals with interested doctors, committed administrators and basic infrastructure have been selected and have been funded to establish genetic laboratories. The financial support and twinning with established Medical Genetics centres will help them to develop state-of-the-art facilities in molecular diagnostics.
- Prevention of Genetic Disorders in Aspirational Districts: Each of the 7 centres providing genetic training has adopted one aspirational district and will establish a program for the prevention of genetic disorders including beta-thalassemia and newborn screening for treatable disorders. This will be a prototype of an outreach program that will take the latest genetic diagnostics to the population and lead the way to incorporate genetic services in maternal and childcare. This will provide onsite training to the doctors in these district hospitals in addition to creating awareness about genetic disorders amongst the general population.
List of Training Centres
- Department of Medical Genetics, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Raibarelly Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Division of Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Genetics Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), New Delhi
- Department of Clinical Genetics, Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- Centre for Genetic Studies and Research, The Madras Medical Mission, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Diagnostics Division, Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD), Hyderabad, Telangana
- Department of Haematology, Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- ICMR‐National Institute of Immunohaematology (NIIH), KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai