Source: Yojana Magazine
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) launched the Swachh Survekshan 2020 (SS 2020), the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey. Alongside, the Swachh Survekshan 2020 Toolkit, SBM Water PLUS Protocol and Toolkit, Swachh Nagar – an integrated waste management app and AI-enabled SBM App were also launched.
Swachh Survekshan 2020
- SS 2020 will be conducted in January 2020.
- A major thrust of Swachh Survekshan has always been on citizen engagement, be it through citizen feedback or indicators involving citizen participation.
- This year, the citizen-centric focus has been enhanced substantially through verification of the progress made by cities on Swachhata through direct responses from citizens. Continuing with its focus on providing integrated waste management solutions to Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and citizens, MoHUA also launched the Swachh Nagar Mobile App.
Swachh Nagar Mobile App
- This app, with features such as tracking of waste collection by ULBs through route and vehicle monitoring, notification to citizens, online collection of user fee for waste collection and an effective grievance redressal mechanism, will be the answer to several issues that hinder effective waste management such as lack of monitoring, collection of segregated waste, and tracking the movement of waste vehicles and waste pickers, amongst others.
SBM Water PLUS Protocol and Toolkit
- Moreover, in line with the focus on continuity and sustainability, a major focus of SS 2020 indicators, both for the quarterly and annual assessments – has been on complete faecal sludge management and wastewater treatment
- Reiterating its commitment to the cause, the Ministry also launched the Water PLUS Protocol and the accompanying Toolkit.
- Moving beyond ODF, ODF+ and ODF++, the Water PLUS protocol aims to provide a guideline for cities and towns to ensure that no untreated wastewater is released into the environment thereby enabling the sustainability of the sanitation value chain. This is in line with the Government’s focus on water conversation and reuse under the Jal Shakti Abhiyan and also aligns with the Sustainable Development Goals on clean water and sanitation.
- The toolkit provides the detailed SBM Water Plus protocol laid down by MoHUA, along with declaration formats to be obtained from various stakeholders, that wards/work circles (in case under the jurisdiction of development authority) and cities are required to submit, as part of the SBM Water Plus declaration and certification process.
Difference between SS & SL