Source: Press Information Bureau
Joint Military Exercise Maitree-2019 between India and Thailand was held at Foreign Training Node, Umroi (Meghalaya) from 16-29 Sep 2019.
- Indian and Royal Thailand Army (RTA) comprising 50 soldiers participated in the exercise with an aim to share experience gained during various operations in their respective countries.
- It is the third consecutive military engagement between the two country’s forces within a month demonstrating India’s warm ties with Thailand
- Exercise Maitree is an annual training event which is being conducted alternatively in Thailand and India since 2006.
- Notably, in the series of military training exercises undertaken by India with various countries, Exercise MAITREE with Thailand is significant in terms of the security challenges faced by both the nations in the backdrop of changing facets of global terrorism.
- The scope of this exercise covers company level joint training on counter-terrorism operations in the jungle and urban scenario.
The joint military exercise will enhance the level of defence co-operation between the Indian Army (IA) and the Royal Thailand Army (RTA) which in turn will further foster defence cooperation and bilateral relations between the two nations.