8 Oct 2019
Source: Kurukshetra Magazine
- The Agriculture Grand challenge is a unique opportunity for Agri-tech start-ups to solve some key challenges which are being faced by in the Agriculture sector in India.
- The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, with Invest India, has identified 12 key problem statements which range from providing a fair price to the farmer to the creation of yield estimation models that can be used by farmers.
- Two solutions, at the idea stage and ready-market stage, for each problem statement will be shortlisted under the program.
- The idea stage start-ups will get incubation support to go from idea to prototype while the ready market solutions will get to be part of a market access program, aimed at easy adoption of their innovation.
The key problem statements are:
- Development of a simplified, sensor-based quick testing method to test nutrients and micronutrients in soil
- Real-time assaying and quick solution for eNAM to effectively handle huge lots of agricultural commodities
- Development of e-Marketplaces to connect food processors with agripreneur/farmers to bridge the value gap-Farm to Fork model
- Price forecast system for Pulses/ Oilseeds/ Potato/ Onion/ Tomato at the time of sowing
- Dissemination of information to the last mile-Agriculture Extension, Scheme information, processes, handholding support for benefit under different Government schemes
- Yield estimation modeling at the village or farm level
- Use of technology in sorting/ grading/ increasing the shelf life of agricultural produce(fruits, vegetables, flowers)
- Use of technology to test adulteration of fresh produce
- Availability of small agricultural implements/ micronutrients/ certified quality seeds through online/ call center interface- Custom Hiring Centers
- Technology to substitute the use of pesticides and insecticides to prevent pre-harvest losses
- Enhancing Agricultural productivity in India
- Alternate usage of Paddy Straw