Source: Ministry of Food Processing Industries
In the budget speech of Union Budget 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood”, with an outlay of Rs.500 crore to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), agri-logistics, processing facilities, and professional management. Accordingly, the Ministry has formulated a scheme for the integrated development of Tomato, Onion, and Potato (TOP) value chain.
- Enhancing value realization of TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their FPOs, and linking/connecting them with the market.
- Price stabilization for producers and consumers by proper production planning in the TOP clusters and introduction of dual-use varieties.
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by creation of farm gate infrastructure, development of suitable agro-logistics, creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centers.
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in the TOP value chain with firm linkages with production clusters.
- Setting up of a market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
The scheme will have a two-pronged strategy of Price stabilization measures (for short term) and Integrated value chain development projects (for long term).
1.Short term Price Stabilisation Measures
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd(NAFED) will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilization measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato(TOP) Crops from production to storage
- The hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops
2.Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops.