16 Sep 2019
Source: Press Information Bureau
The President of India visited Gambia, this is the first-ever visit of the Head of State/Head of Government from India to The Gambia.
- India offered The Gambia a grant of US dollars 500,000 in support of skill development and cottage industry project.
- In addition, the two sides also signed and exchanged an MOU on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy.
- During the visit, the President of India received the instrument of ratification of the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement from the Gambian President. This will open up new opportunities for collaboration between the two countries on solar energy and help in combating climate change. In addition, India is also working for setting up solar projects in select villages in The Gambia.
- India also agreed to offer training in the fields of judiciary, police, administration and technical expertise, as per Gambia’s request and in line with the priorities of The Gambia. In recent months, India has organized special training programmes for The Gambian Permanent Secretaries and senior civil servants as well as diplomats.
- The President noted that India is among the top trading partners of The Gambia. Our bilateral trade in 2018-19 crossed US$ 200 million, representing an increase of nearly 100% in the last two years.