Source: Press Information Bureau
Government of India has set up the New Space India Limited (NSIL), a wholly owned Government of India undertaking/ Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE), under the administrative control of Department of Space (DOS) in March 2019 to commercially exploit the research and development work of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Centres and constituent units of DOS.
Purpose of its establishment
NSIL was set up to meet the ever-increasing demands of Indian space programme and to commercially exploit the emerging global space market.
Roles & Functions
NSIL has been incorporated to carry out the following roles and functions as part of its mandate, they are;
- Manufacture of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) in collaboration with Private Sector
- NSIL will act as an aggregator for all space related activities in industry and develop private entrepreneurship in space related technologies.
- Small Satellite technology transfer to industry, wherein NSIL will obtain license from DOS/ISRO and sub-license it to Industries
- Productionisation of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) through Indian Industry
- Productionisation and marketing of Space based products and services, including launch and application
- Transfer of technology developed by ISRO Centres and constituent units of DOS
- Marketing spin-off technologies and products/services, both in India and abroad and
- Any other subject which Government of India deems fit.
The emergence of NSIL would spur the growth of Indian industries in the space sector and enable Indian industries to scale up manufacturing and production base.