Source: Press Information Bureau
To sustain the reforms brought in by the ongoing scheme of ‘End to End Computerization of Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS) Operations’ the Department of Food & Public Distribution, Government of India has launched a new scheme namely “Integrated Management of Public Distribution System (IM-PDS)(Central sector scheme)”in 2018 for implementation in all States/UTs. In this regard, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed with 26 States/UTs, so far, for the implementation of IM-PDS scheme.
The main objective of the scheme
To introduce nation-wide portability of ration card holders under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA), to lift their entitlement foodgrains from any FPS of their choice in the country without the need of obtaining a new ration card, by integrating the existing PDS systems/portals of States/UTs with the Central systems/portals under Central Repository of all NFSA ration cards/beneficiaries.
other key focus areas
Besides national portability, the following are some of the other key focus areas of the IM-PDS scheme:
- National level de-duplication of all ration cards/beneficiaries’ data.
- Integration of States/UTs PDS systems/applications with Central PDS systems/applications.
- Use of advanced data analytics techniques to bring about continuous improvements in PDS operations.
- Development of advanced web and mobile-based applications.
- Facilitation of cross-learning and sharing of best practices between States/UTs, etc.
States with Intra-state level portability
- Presently, intra-State level portability is operational in 10 States of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana, and Tripura for the benefit of ration cardholders to lift the foodgrains from any FPS within the State.
- 3 States of Utter Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Madhya Pradesh have introduced intra-State level portability partially in a few FPS areas/districts.
- The creation of a Central Repository of all ration cards/beneficiary data of all States/UTs shall ensure that no duplicate ration card/beneficiary exists in any State/UT under NFSA.
- It will help in ensuring food security of migrant labours.