Source: Ministry of Culture
Objective of the scheme
To provide financial assistance to the State Governments, Autonomous bodies, Local Bodies, Societies and Trusts registered under the Societies Act for setting up of new Museums as well as for development of existing museums
Components of the scheme
- Component A: Establishment and Development of District and Regional Museums: Under this component museums have been classified into two categories-
- Category-I: Government-owned State level Museums and renowned Museums with exquisite collection and
- Category-II: all other Museums.
- Component B: Development of Museums in State Capitals : Financial assistance under this component is provided to existing renowned museums of the Central or State Government located in the Capital cities. The maximum financial assistance under this component is limited to Rs. 15 Crore per museum.
- Component C: Establishment and Development of Large Scale Museums in Public Private Partnership Mode: Under this component, it is proposed to establish large scale museums as joint ventures with State Governments and the civil society in Public Private Partnership Mode. The maximum financial assistance provided under this component is 40% of the project cost subject to a maximum of Rs. 20 Crore per museum
Other key highlights
- Ministry of Culture provides financial assistance under this scheme
- In order to seek financial assistance, the proposal is required to be submitted to the Ministry in the prescribed proforma along with all relevant documents for consideration of the Expert Committee constituted for this purpose.
- The maximum amount of financial assistance which may be given would be 80% of the total project cost.
- In the case of museums in North-Eastern region including Sikkim the financial assistance would be 90% of the total project cost.
- The remaining amount i.e. 20% of the project cost (in the case of North Eastern region, 10% of the project cost), will have to be borne by the organization.
- The organization may arrange the balance amount either from its own resources or may receive assistance through Corporate Social Responsibility.