Source: Press Information Bureau
- Nehru Yuva Kendras were established in the year 1972 with the objective of providing rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building as well providing opportunities for the development of their personality and skills.
- In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee working of these Kendras.
- NYKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world. It channelizes the power of youth on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
- At present, there are Nehru Yuva Kendras functions in as many as 623 districts of the country.
- District based kendras and Zonal Offices: In order to manage, administer and run the 623 district based Nehru Yuva Kendras, Zonal Offices in the States have been established by NYKS.
- The NYKS has its head office in New Delhi
Objectives of NYKS are twofold they are:
- To involve the rural youth in nation building activities.
- To develop such skills and values in them with which they become responsible and productive citizens of a modern, secular and technological nation
Programme of the NYKS
Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan has been working in various fronts of youth development with a variety of youth programmes of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and certain special programmes in coordination and cooperation of other ministries. Main focus has been on developing values of good citizenship, thinking and behaving in secular ways, skill development and helping youth to adopt a productive and organized behaviour
Core Programmes in a district
- Youth club development programme
- Training on youth leadership and community development
- Promotion of sports
- Education in basic vocations and Soft skills
- District level promotion of Art and Culture
- Observance of days of National importance, National Youth Day and week
- District youth convention
- Awards to outstanding Youth Clubs at District,State and National level.
- Mahatma Gandhi Yuva swachhata Maha Abhiyan evam Shramadaan Karyakram.
- Yuva Adarsh Gram Vikas Yojana