Source: Invest India website
Invest India is the National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of India and act as the first point of reference for investors in India
Invest India was formed in 2009 under the Companies Act 1956 for promotion of foreign investment with 49% equity of the then Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry and 51% shareholding by FICCI
The projects which are being handled by Invest India, inter-alia, include the following:
- Proactive Investor Targeting: Invest India identifies target companies across focus sectors from target markets looking to initiate investment into India or further expansion in India.
- Handholding support: The provision of high quality services to support investors throughout the investment life cycle is extremely important and Invest India creates vital differentiation and an invaluable service offering of guidance, handholding, problem solving and facilitation for investors.
- Bilateral CEO Forums: Government of India has institutionalized bilateral CEOs forums with various countries to identify new avenues for cooperation and take initiatives to facilitate business links between countries. Invest India takes up the responsibility of acting as the nodal point for investment related issues/ recommendations and help action investment specific resolutions raised at the CEOs Forums.
- Country – Sector Outreach: Invest India proactively contributes to national and regional policy development by planning Country/Sector interactions.
- Strategic Investment Research Unit: It shapes India’s investment landscape and drives a step change in the quality and quantity of FDI. The Strategic Investment Research unit not only act as a strong pillar for the core functions of the IPA, like investor targeting and facilitation, but also assist in preparing investment related briefings.
- Harnessing Information & Communication Technology for FDI: Invest India scales up use of technology for investment targeting and facilitation. Using Information and Communication Technology, IPAs are putting in place increasingly sophisticated investor inquiry tracking tools to handle and process such inquiries.
- Working with State Investment Promotion Agencies: Invest India plays a central role in ensuring that FDI is on the agenda of all State agencies, State Governments and stakeholders, highlighting the substantial economic and social benefits which can be accrued locally from FDI.
- Startups: Startup India is a flagship initiative of the Government of India, intended to build a strong eco-system for nurturing innovation and Startups in the country that will drive sustainable economic growth and generate large scale employment opportunities. The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade with the help of Invest India aims to empower Startups to grow through innovation and design through this initiative.
- Accelerating Growth of New India’s Innovations (AGNIi): It aims to support the ongoing efforts to boost the innovation ecosystem in the country by connecting innovators across industry, individuals and the grassroots to the market and helping commercialise their innovative solutions. Invest India provides a platform for innovators to bring their market ready products and solutions to industry thereby helping propel India into a new era of inclusive economic growth.
- India Investment Grid: India Investment Grid (IIG) is an online platform to showcase investment opportunities in India to global investors. The platform is looked after by Invest India
The efforts of Invest India and measures taken by the Government on FDI policy liberalization along with improvement in ease of doing business climate have resulted in unprecedented growth of total FDI inflows. India has recorded USD 64.38 billion FDI inflow in the year 2018-19 which is an increase of 78.6% over financial year 2013-14 when total FDI inflow was USD 36.05 billion
Review by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade conducts regular review of the performance of Invest India. Further, the Board of Directors, under the chairmanship of Secretary, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, including nominees from Government of India, FICCI, CII and NASSCOM manages and oversee the overall operations, direction and strategy of the company