12 Jul 2019
Source: Economic Survey 2018-19
Ending Matsyanyaya: How to Ramp up Capacity in the Lower Judiciary
- Delays in contract enforcement and disposal resolution are arguably now the single biggest hurdle to the ease of doing business and higher GDP growth in India.
- Around 87.5 percent of pending cases are in the District and Subordinate courts.
What can be done?
- 100 percent clearance rate can be achieved by filling out merely 2279 vacancies in the lower courts and 93 in High Courts.
- States of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha and West Bengal need special attention.
- Productivity improvements of 25 percent in lower courts, 4 percent in High Courts and 18 percent in Supreme Court can clear backlog