Rather than focusing on the specific report, UPSC may ask it as part of overall reforms in the post liberalisation era and also ask you to comment upon their recent impact on attracting FDI, business sentiments. Also, for prelims, UPSC may ask about the indicators or publisher of the report.
India climbs 23 places in World Bank Rankings to 77 out of 190 countries.
Placing it in syllabus:
Important International Institutions
Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Ease of Doing Business Index- World bank
- Ease of Doing Business as part of LPG Reforms
- Recent report and India’s Ranking and its impact
- Improvements in Various indicators and areas where improvement is required
World Bank publishes annually the rankings of 190 countries on the basis of the following indicators.
- Dealing with construction permits
- Starting a business
- Enforcing Contracts
- Trading across borders
- Getting credit
- Getting electricity connection
- Registering property
- Paying taxes
- Resolving insolvency
- Protecting minority investors
- Labour market regulation
- India saw a massive jump in the parameter “dealing with Construction Permits” to 52nd position from 181 last year. This was due to:
(a) Reducing time for processing permit applications
(b) Streamlining procedures
(c) Improving transparency
(d) Passing of Real Estate Regulation Authority Act by the parliament etc…
- India saw a similar improvement in the “Trading across borders” section to 80th position from 146 largely due to:
(a) Reducing the time and cost to export and import through various initiatives
(b) Implementation of electronic sealing of containers
(c) Upgrading of port infrastructure
(d) Allowing electronic submission of supporting documents with digital signatures under its NATIONAL TRADE FACILITATION ACTION PLAN 2017-2020.
(e) Agreeing to the World trade organizations Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA).
- India became the top ranked country in South Asia for the first time and also was 3rd among BRICS nations.
- India has jumped 53 places in the last 2 years (A performance only matched by Bhutan and Djibouti). With 13 reforms between them, China and India are among the top 10 improvers. Djibouti and India are the only economies to make the list of top 10 improvers for the second consecutive year in the 190 country ranking.
- India is seeking to reach the 30th position by 2020 according to an “OUTPUT-OUTCOME FRAMEWORK DOCUMENT” prepared by the government.
Test Yourself: Mould your thoughts
Briefly outline the success of reforms mentioned in the recent Ease of Doing Business report of the World Bank about India. Do you think it substantively represents India’s progress? Give reasons