How to use Manifest – 11?
Please follow the following guidelines to reap the best out of the initiative for your preparation.
- Categorize all your sources into these 11 sections.
- Do not separate your static and current topics. Let everything be in these 11 sections.
- In each article or issue following are the sections.
a) Headline of the issue – For example: News item on Aug 22, 2018: https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/strengthening-the-federal-link/article24747203.ece (This issue was also covered in Economic Survey this year)
b) In news – What are the important points about the issue related to UPSC? (These are generally extracted from the Newspaper)
c) Placing it in syllabus – In this section, the topic or the issue will be linked with the syllabus. By linking with various sections of the syllabus, one can understand in what all sections the same issue can be asked as a question.
Demonstrating through above example:
This can be placed in syllabus as below:
- Issues and challenges pertaining to Federal Structure.
- Devolution of Power and Finances to local levels and its challenges.
d) Static dimensions – These are dimensions created out of the current topic that is the topic in news, which you conventionally study as part of your static readings.
Extracting the static dimensions out of the above example:
- Local Governance and its philosophy
- Panchayats and their importance
- Success, issues and challenges in Panchayats
- Reforms needed in Panchayats
How will these help?
- These dimensions will help you in reading the standard textbooks according to the dimensions and align your preparation according to the demands of UPSC.
- You may sometimes get newer dimensions which are not usually covered in standard books.
- It will prioritize your topics for revision in static readings. Since revision of all topics is not possible, you can revise those static issues more which are in news to target the questions better.
e) Current Dimensions – These are created on the topic or issue in news. In the entire write-up the content part mostly deals with all these current dimensions. It will be one single roof destination for all the points related to the current dimensions of the topic.
Extracting current dimensions from the above example
- Constitutional aspects related to finances of local government
- Financial health of local governments – Problems and solutions
It will include all current dimensions of the above example from various sources (The Hindu article and Economic survey)
g) Manifest Pedagogy – Looking beyond the Issue
What is Manifest Pedagogy?
After an issue is dealt under Manifest 11, there is a section of Manifest Pedagogy. It may not be compulsorily given after every issue!
It’s an expert’s perspective on the overall issue discussed. It gives you:
- Technique behind the compilation of the material.
- Alternative perspectives on the same issue which are generally not available anywhere.
- Sometimes even a write up is included in these alternative perspectives. These are UPSC exam related articles on the topic which will include analysis of the whole issue and also points which when included in the answer give you an edge over others.
- Finally Manifest Pedagogy is based on the overall vision and mission of the institute. Gives you a peek into the methods and techniques of thinking and learning. These methods and techniques would be implemented on a larger scale in all the subjects in our classroom program which will be announced shortly.
Inter-disciplining (linking across subjects) and inter-linking (static and current) will be done to create challenging questions in line with UPSC. Is it really in line with UPSC? Here is the proof:
CSE Mains – 2018 Question
Assess the importance of the Panchayat system in India as a part of local government. Apart from government grants, what sources the Panchayats can look out for financing developmental projects? (15 Marks)
In the above question interlinking is done. First part of the question is static and second part is current. That is it’s a mix of Dimensions 1 and 2 (Static) and Dimensions 2 and 3 (current) under the topic used for demonstration above. Manifest-11 initiative has manifested after research at length to prepare for UPSC. Recent years papers have time and again proved that static and current should not be studied separately and disciplines should not be studied in isolation.
NOTE:Please do not skip Reading Newspaper.